Friday, June 26, 2009

The up side and down side of pregnancy


Today was my 30 week appointment.  I had a lot of questions this time around because I have started to have some new symptoms.  I got in and started with the usual pee in a cup, which by the way has become a MUCH easier task now that there is a baby sitting on my bladder!  Also there is a new, young nurse who is super nice, so the whole experience is more pleasant than in the beginning.  After that I was weighed and according to the chart I have gained 29 pounds so far.  Not too bad.  I wanted to stay between 25 and 30 and it looks like I will go over a little, but still not bad.  Recommended weight gain is 25-35 pounds so we're doing good, which is amazing considering my diet the last 8 months (Did someone say McDonald's?)!  The nurse then said that my hemoglobin was low, so they needed to get a little blood sample to check my iron.  It's a little on the low side, but nothing to be worried about.  I also had some sugar in my urine so they did another blood test to check my glucose, but that was also fine.  So far so good!  When it was time to see the doctor, I mentioned that I had been cramping the bast 2-3 days, with some feelings of nausea and headaches.  I had already read that these can be signs of pre-term labor, so I was a little worried.  She decided to check my cervix just to be sure all was ok and it was...still shut tight (this is good since I swear baby's head is pressing as hard as it can "right there" so good to know he can't get out yet!).  She checked for a bladder infection too, but I was clear there, so the cramps are just another joy of pregnancy to go with the aches and pains and swelling.  I mentioned I had got off easy in the beginning with no morning sickness, so she said the pregnancy was going to make up for that now.  Yea!  We listened to the heartbeat and it was good...136 bpm.  She measured my uterus and said I was measuring 2 weeks big, which seems to be the norm now.  We discussed that from now on we will be monitoring the size of the baby and if he does seem to be big we may look at a c-section, but for now we'll assume he'll come out just fine.  We'll have more info after my ultrasound on Tuesday as well.  

Now the fun side of pregnancy....I went to go get my haircut because we're getting maternity portraits done tomorrow and the lady that did my hair was great!  I went to a Fantastic Sams which is normally no thrills, but she could see how hot I was so I get extra time at the hair wash station, cool rinses, a cool towel on my face with yummy smelling peppermint on it, a cool refreshing facial cream stuff....it was great!  I felt like I was at a spa.  She was super funny too, so it was a good experience.   I also stopped at a garage sale on the way and got a bunch of cute maternity stuff (and an outfit for baby of course) for only $1 a piece!!  YEA!  

That's all for now.  Oh...the pics above are my 28 week belly.  I think I am bigger than that now!  I'll get the professional pics from tomorrow up as soon as their ready.

3 comments:

  1. okay so at 40 weeks I measured in at 48, so that makes me 8 weeks over due at 40 weeks with Adin....lol. They also discussed c-section with my 9 lb 8 oz first born and had me take all the extra classes. Don't let them convince you of this unless it ends up having to be done due to complications. Faster recovery if you don't have to have it. Good luck the next 10 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay so at 40 weeks I measured in at 48, so that makes me 8 weeks over due at 40 weeks with Adin....lol. They also discussed c-section with my 9 lb 8 oz first born and had me take all the extra classes. Don't let them convince you of this unless it ends up having to be done due to complications. Faster recovery if you don't have to have it. Good luck the next 10 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like everything is still going as it should be. I am so very excited for you and Kevin. I know you will be WONDERFUL parents! Can hardly wait to hear what name you guys choose. That is awsome you are going to have professional pregnancy photos, this is such a special time to caputre. How is Daddy Kevin doing as Baby's arrival is getting closer? I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete