Monday, January 19, 2009

Bye bye to the kitties!


I received a call from one of the nurses at my doctor's office over the weekend and she said all of my blood work came back good. BUT she said they tested to see if I am immune to a disease you can get from cats while pregnant and it turns out I am not. Even after growing up with cats, I never was exposed, so....that means I am at risk. I forget the exact name of the virus, but it can cause retardation and blindness...so we didn't want to take any chances. The nurse said I shouldn't clean the litter box, even with gloves, and shouldn't even be in the same room as the litter. She also said to not have the cats sleep with us at night...which they do every night! In fact the cats spoon me while Kevin gets the rest of the bed to himself! So we had to call the "grandparents" and see if they would take the cats because Kevin was going to Florida for work and wouldn't be back for at least 2 months. They reluctantly agreed. This now gave my parents 2 indoor cats and 5 outdoor cats!! They are now the "old cat people!" We miss our kitties, but it's for the best. Since this is our first, and probably only child we want to be sure we do all we can to ensure it's healthy!

3 comments:

  1. Our house is now Cat central. And yes, I was reluctant - but we fully understand and want what's best for our first grandbaby. But we are wondering when, if ever we get our own lives back???? :-) I know - never again! Jack and Mr. G have met the outdoor kitties which resulted in a big hissing match. Funny. Bob and I are sneezing, sniffling and itchy eyes, so I guess we have to get used to the cat hair and litter box now. I might go blind cleaning that litter box. But I'm grateful they are using it and not any other place in my house. P.S. I am not a shopaholic, I have not spent millions on this baby... at least not yet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAIT!!! Only one baby??? I don't think so!!! You have to at least have 2.

    Grandma's and Grandpa's are the BEST. You baby is very blessed to have them ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...you gotta have at least two. Trust me on this one!!!!!! It is harder on the parents to have one then two because you have to provide all the entertainment. If you have them close together it is tough, but in the end worth it. Cody and Caleb are at a perfect age of entertaining one another....It is really nice. Then there is Cassie who was an only child for almost 8 year and she thinks she has to be the center of everything. "Don't cramp couch time for mommy and daddy.

    ReplyDelete