Thursday, January 8, 2009

First doctor appointment....it's alive!!


I had my first pre-nantal doctor's appointment yesterday. Kevin went with me. It started off bad when I couldn't pee on demand. I hate that...I had drank water all morning and KNEW they were going to ask me to do it. I was getting my pregnancy confirmed after all! It took me awhile, meanwhile the nurse was visable upset I was taking so long. Luckily she was only the check in nurse so I had no other interactions with her. She was a little too bitchy for my taste. I guess during one of my tries she told Kevin how busy they were today and sighed and slapped her hand on the desk. Nice lady.


Anyway, I finally produced what they needed so we went into a room to wait for the Doc. He came in and congratulated us. :) I already knew, but it's always good to hear it from a professional. He said the Estimated Due Date (EDD) is Sept. 4th. I already have had requests to hold out for a 9-9-09 baby, but we'll have to see about that. He proceeded to ask about my symptoms, which at this point mainly consist of me carrying 2 giant boulders around attached to my chest! I did mention some cramping so he suggested we go ahead and do an ultrasound to make sure the embryo was where it was supposed to be...in my uterus, not my tubes. So we were herded to a new room...Kevin commented that they needed moving sidewalks or shuttle to get people from place to place!


I can't believe how big ultrasound machines are! You would think that in 2009 they would have some nice small thing to do these, but nope. The nurse said she thinks they get bigger every year! Kevin thought the vaginal ultrasound thing was interesting...the "probe" I guess you would call it was all ready with a condom looking thing over it and some lube. He was like "they are going to stick that inside you?" Yep, that's how it works! He decides he doesn't want a front row seat at that point. :) The dr. comes back in and I "assume the position" (ladies, you know what I am talking about...stirrups anyone?). He tells "daddy" to come stand by my shoulder so he can turn the screen so "mommy" can see. Wow....that was weird to hear. I felt like I was in a movie or something. Very out of body... Anyway, he shows us on the screen where my uterus and bladder are, then you could clearly see a little sac...this is where our little yolk was!! Then he pointed out a fluttering on the screen and says that this is the hearbeat! Kevin - "Shutup!" Doctor - "It is!" Kevin - "No...shutup!" It was great.

I am so glad Kevin came with me because I think at that moment it really sunk in with him and he seems really excited now. More on that later though...


After we were done there (by the way I have peed 2 more times now that no one needs a sample any longer!) we go into yet ANOTHER room. The doctor tells us some of what I can and can't do and eat or drink. The best part was when he said I can't clean the litter box. I had told Kevin that was the case and he didn't believe it. Now he heard it from the expert...he said "thanks Doc!"


Lastly, I had to give a bunch of blood samples. Kevin chose to sit this part out. I warned the nurse, because last time I had been intheir office, they must have poked me 10 times trying to find a vein. She actually got it on the first try!! She said she was from Dracula's country, so she had no problem drawing blood. I thought that was funny! :)

My next appointement is in 2 weeks so I will have more to report then and maybe a new picture of the yolk. :)

Now, back to Kevin. I came home last night and when I opened the door, he had candles lit all over the house! It was beautiful!! He had a bottle of champagne chilling, along with a can of Ginger Ale of me since I can't drink! He poured us our drinks in champagne flutes and we toasted to our new life. It was wonderful and it made me so happy! I know we are both a little scared about how this is going to change our lives, but I think we're ready for the challenge!

5 comments:

  1. If my calculations are right you should know the sex by end of April or beginning of May when they do the "BIG" ultrasound. That's the one where they check everything out...the baby's heart, spine, brain and all the good stuff.

    Too bad it's not twins. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...don't listen to them.....09-08-09 sounds better to me.....wonderful people are always born on that day!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Shana!!! I am definitely gonna check out your blog throughout the pregnancy. You are funny as shit!! Can't wait to read the ones on days when morning sickness has reared its UGLY head!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll put $ 5 on 9/9/9 and I'm guessing it's a boy...and horribly spoiled by grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a good blog writer - very funny. But then Kevin makes for such good material! :-)
    Here's to the yolk!

    ReplyDelete