Monday, January 5, 2009

First prenancy post

Ok....it's a new year, I have a new life growing in me, so I thought I would try out this blogging thing to keep people up to date on how the whole pregnancy thing is going. I can't promise anything...I was never good at keeping a diary, so I don't know how this will go, but I will try. This will allow be to share pictures and stories along the way which will be great since I have friends and family spread all over this country!!

So, where to start? I guess let's start at the beginning. Kevin and I decided that I would go off the pill in September (well, I decided, he went along with it). At that point, I went online and signed up for 2 different fertility calendars so I would know when our "prime opportunities" were. The first few months were pretty quiet. Then December came and we joked that we weren't going to getting pregnant any time soon because he was scheduled to be in Florida for work for the entire time my calendar said we should be trying to conceive. Nice. Well...as fate would have it we beat the odds of the web and conceived anyway!!

I was due to have Aunt Flo visit on Christmas Day...nothing like having her in for the holidays (my last cycle started on Thanksgiving so it was apropos). I had what I thought were PMS symptoms all week leading up so I had no reason to think she wouldn't show. Well that day came and went as well as the next and the next. By Sunday I wasn't feeling well (that may have been due to the festivities the night before too...shhh!) so I bought a pregnancy test on the way home. Kevin ended up falling asleep on the couch shortly after I got home so I went upstairs to see what the test would say. I have taken a few pregnancy tests in my day and usually the wait seems SO slow while the results come up. Not this time. I think the double lines appeared immediately and shouted out to me from the stick. I stood there in shock for a minute, then just smiled. I was happy....but how to tell Kevin. He has been less than eager for kids, to be honest, but after some long talks he was willing to try. Now that this was a reality I wasn't sure how he would take it. I decided to wait to tell him until I went to the doctor for confirmation. In the mean time I went on eBay and ordered a Korn onesie I had seen (his favorite group) so I could soften the blow when I told him. :)

The next day all I could think about was that I was going to have a BABY!! Work...well not much got accomplished that day. I knew I had to go home and tell Kevin that night. I couldn't get into the doctor until Jan 7th, over a week and a half away, and I knew I couldn't hold it in for that long. So I went home and waited for him to get home. When he got there I asked him to sit down with me on the couch. He was immediately on guard. I put my arm around him and showed him the positive test. He said "what does this mean?" I realized the words were upside down so I turned it over and showed him that the 2 lines meant pregnant. He sat there in shock for a few minutes...then said he needed a shot. If you know Kevin at all, this is not a surprise for him! I then showed him a pic of the onesie I had ordered, which he liked. We talked for a bit then he picked up the phone and started calling people. He started with my mom...this is the first grandchild for my parents. She started crying she was so happy. Next was his mom, who started screaming. Good reactions from both. :) He also called his step mom and his Dad and they were both very excited too. I think it helped Kevin to hear how excited everyone is.

Once the news was spilled to the parents it didn't take long for it to spread. My mom emailed everyone she knew that night to share and before long it was all over Facebook. That meant telling my co-workers since most of them are on there. So the news is out...a little earlier than I would have liked, but oh well. We are excited and I can't imagine keeping this in for another 2 months until I was further along!

So....depending on which site I go to, I am between 5 and 6 weeks along. I'll add one of the countdown clocks to the blog once I go to the doctor and get his opinion. Estimated due date at this point is September 3rd.

So, post 1 down....many more to hopefully follow along with photos, etc. I want to share this with everyone, so enjoy the ride!

5 comments:

  1. George and I are just sooo happy for you guys. We know that you two will be just great parents. Kevin will be OK, he just has to get use to the idea - Right?. He even told me he was going to the dr with you... that's a good sign. This will be #23 for George and #3 for me.... I can't wait. I know this baby will be WELL loved by everyone.. Mom-Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I have waited SO long for this!!!

    I am anxious to hear all the wonderful pregnancy stories.

    What an exciting and fun time this is for you both. Enjoy every minute of it.

    ....guess you can take the ovulation kit back to Target and get some diapers. LOL

    Missy...Cody...Casey

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! On your first baby AND your first blog post. Welcome to the world of blogging, can't wait to hear all the details of your pregnancy....well, maybe you don't need to share ALL of them, but most is good =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Shauna, & Kevin,

    I am one of those many people on your mom's email list that has shared w/me the wonderful news! I am so happy for all of you. My eldest son was born 9/9, and he will be 21 this year. It would be alot of fun if you two had your bundle of joy on that day too! Yes, your baby will be a bundle of joy! At first there will be lack of sleep, but, each day gets better. Just watching them grow is fun at every step of the way. Teen years.....wellllll you have a long way for that, and who knows you might be the firsts to have a well balanced normal teenager! Ha ha! Congradulations! Mary Waikiki

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know your dad and I are thrilled. Even if I am a little panicky. Thinking I'm too old for this :-) Do I remember how to change a diaper??? :-)
    Our checkbook is already reflecting our (my) excitement!! :-)

    ReplyDelete