Saturday, January 10, 2009

Gender Predictors

Ok...so I went shopping with a very excited grandma to be yesterday...my mother! :) I think she told every person we interacted with that she was going to be a first time grandma. It was very cute!

One thing we noticed during our shopping spree was that until you know what you are having it is hard to find anything to buy. Baby clothes are very gender specific. Girls are pink princesses and boys like tractors and dinosaurs. Kind of sexist, but we'll go with it. :) Of course it is WAY too early to know what we are having (let alone be shopping for it...but tell that to the grandmas!) so what is an expectant mother to do? Turn to an ancient Chinese gender predictor!! I had seen one on one of my "I'm Pregnant" websites early on and I had a number of my friends and co-workers try it out and all but one said it was accurate. So...according to this "scientific" source I am having a girl. This is calculated by looking at what age I was when the baby was conceived and the month of conception. Ok...girl it is.

But wait! Today I get an email from my Aunt Tina with a Chinese Gender Predictor attached and it is done by using the age I will be when the baby is born and the month of conception. This time I am having a BOY! Hmmm....now what? So I go back to the all knowing internet to look for a tie breaker. I find a calculator that finds your Chinese lunar age (you know the Chinese all want boys, so they have tons of calculators out there!) and uses that to determine sex.

So the tie breaker winner? Boy!

Ok, am I going to run out and sign my little tadpole (or is it a whale? What is that spinning thing over to the left of the blog?? Alien?) up for hockey and buy all blue? No....I think I will wait for the medical community to tell me something a little more concrete. In the mean time, I am on the D's for girl's names in a book of over 100,000 baby names. I may get through the book by the time the baby is born. Maybe.

3 comments:

  1. I am going to wait until they say it's a "turtle" to start shopping for boy stuff. :) ....but then WATCH OUT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys name: Spencer Michael Keyes

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a ton of boys already to shop for....I say girl!!!! As much shopping that will be done on this poor little one it has got to be a girl....this way she can enjoy the shopping with you. BTW, Leiani is a great name for a girl!!!!! I have heard this is the best name for baby girls born in September. I have four boys.....I know Adin was a boy without anything guiding me, I had an ultra sound that said Evan was going to be a girl even though inside I knew he was going to be a boy, I know Cody was a boy and ultra sound confirmed it, I thought Caleb would be a girl and I was wrong. I am pretty sure you can find a chinese calendar on line that will let you know whatever you want. I think your gut knows more then all that junk....My intuition was right 3 out of 4 times. Had I not really wanted a girl the last time I probably would have heard my intuition tell me yet again BOY!!!!! I do like Spencer as a first name for a boy though....it is really cool when a maiden name can be used that way. I like Spencer Robert Keyes myself.....I love giving honor to family members by using middle names as the same as someone special to you. Plus, then he can be S.R. Keyes...too cool

    ReplyDelete